Curse of Strahd
Curse of Strahd is a very established (voted most popular) campaign setting with a horror theme for DnD 5e written by Tracy and Laura Hickman that I have adapted in order to enhance certain aspects of the adventure/story.
- Levels: 1-15
- Milestone XP/lvls
- This article contains SPOILERS! Continue read at risk of spoiling the experience for yourself.
- (Though spoilers are marked as such)
- Make a character on the DnD Beyond
- Invite link (old) https://www.dndbeyond.com/campaigns/join/22568373016427922
- Invite link (new) https://www.dndbeyond.com/campaigns/join/44754983257582485
- Level 1
- All official sources are ok - if unsure: check
- Point buy abilities
- Automatic hit points
- You gain one additional feat of your choice
- If you start from early game, choose 3 Grants of Aid (can choose the same multiple times) that you'll receive after aiding Daggerford and agreeing to aid the area further still:
- (Ducal of Daggerford) - 1 weapon silvered by the local blacksmith (or 20 pieces of ammunition)
- (Ducal of Daggerford) - 1 potion of Greater Healing
- (Order of the Gauntlet) - 1 potion of Heroism
- (The Harpers) - 1 scroll of Remove Curse (or choose freely any 1st lvl spell scroll)
- (Emerald Enclave) - Pouch with 4 Infused Belladonna Berries:
- Effects starts at the beginning of your next turn and lasts 1 hour
- Advantage on any saves against the curse of lycanthropy
- If you ingest a berry while infected by lycanthropy but before you have turned into a werewolf for the first time, you immediately get one additional save against the curse
- If you or an ally kills a werewolf while the berry's effect is active, you gain Inspiration
- (The Retinue) - Pouch with 4 vials of Holy Water
- (Lord's alliance) - 1 scroll of magic weapon (or choose freely any 1st lvl spell scroll)
- (Black Network) - Pouch with 4 vials of Low Quality Serpent Venom (2d6 instead of 3 and unsellable)
- If you start mid-campaign, discuss what uncommon/rare item(s) you may have with DM and "essentially any" mundane items.
- Try to keep background connected to another player's character or a little bit open-ended to make it easy to tie appropriate details together later
- Don't accept to play if you are not comfortable with horror-y themes, which include death, undead, body horror and the like. DO inform clearly if there are any themes you want to exclude before starting!
- The people of this campaign setting only very rarely meet characters of other races than human and a (very) few elves, so anything other than that WILL be very noticed and in some cases seen as unwelcome guest in the lands.
- The area is fairly low magic in the settlements and it may be hard to get supplies at times.
- Not everything that looks evil is evil and not everything that looks good is good. But it's a sort of good indicator.
- Just because you are ALLOWED to be a damphir does not mean it's a good idea. Could be interesting or could be a pain.
- Having at least ONE character with atleast limited healing and/or divine skills is useful - not a requirement.
- Not everything that looks dead is undead.
- If Blinsky is not involved, there is no fun to be had.
House rules relating to CoS specifically.
At times, you will gain a small boon from residual powers in Barovia, a so called Channelled Boon. When gained, choose from:
- Reroll; stays, stacks with inspiration and can be used on the same roll
- Healing; immediately gain 2d8 + lvl healing
- Protection; immediately gain 1d8 + lvl temporary hit points
The section below contains spoilers.
|House Rules* & Roleplaying nav.. (e)|